Matar Paneer is a dish from India, made more often in North Indian homes in the dinner menu or even for lunch. You can have it with chapatti or naan and even mix with rice.
Ingredients of Matar Paneer
- Cubed and fried Paneer chunks, sauteed with peas, green chilies along with a host of spices, tomatoes, and ginger garlic paste.
- 2 Cups Paneer (cubed, deep-fried to a light brown)
- 2 cups green peas (shelled)
- 3-4 green chilies (slit a little)
For the gravy
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic cloves (ground with onions), peeled
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato, grated
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Bay leaves (Tej Patta)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red pepper, powdered
- 1 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds, powdered
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (for garnish), chopped
How to Prepare
- Blend the onions, garlic, and ginger to a paste.
- Heat oil and add the cumin seeds and the bay leaves.
- Add onion paste and saute till brown and fat separates.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt, garam masala, red pepper, and the coriander powder, and stir-fry till fat separates.
- Add the peas, paneer and the green chilies and saute over high heat till glossy.
- Add two cups water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves. Omit the chilies if you so desire.